Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pride in Peace

I spent last week in Belfast, Northern Ireland preparing for the 2009 Sister Cities International Conference. What a place and what a story. With half Irish blood, I thought I had a fairly good understanding of “The Troubles” (as they are so eloquently called there.) Understanding The Troubles and talking to people who experienced The Troubles are two different animals. Ten years after the Good Friday Agreement it is stunning how many symbols of the violence remain in and around Belfast— such as peace walls, murals, and country flags in fronts yards. This surprised me. The outward expression seemed dated based on how wonderful I had heard things were going.

In part, it is important to remember and reflect on where you’ve been as a society and where you want to go. This manifests itself in visual icons fro some. No one was asking another person to give up who they are or their cultural heritage. But, what was striking, was the dialogue around where Northern Ireland is now. Everyone I spoke to perked up when they spoke about the status of the negotiated peace. “That’s behind us… did you see all the construction in downtown Belfast?” “We have changed our school and youth service structure. Before you could grown up, get a job, and live your life without ever meeting someone from the “other side,” I don’t think that exists now.”

As you dig more, of course like any citizen, people have frustrations with the national government. For example, the Executive (the First Minister/Deputy First Minister offices and agencies) hadn’t met in months and it was holding up important funding legislation. I thought to myself, that sounds very familiar.

But what told the story in a more striking fashion was the nonverbal communication – everyone smiled, stood more upright, looked me determinedly in the eyes. There was a sense that they had weathered the storm and the wind was at their back.

No comments: